freeride-devel

[FR-devel] Introduction

From: Gordon Guthrie, BTP, BT, SE
Subject: [FR-devel] Introduction
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:52:35 +0100

Folks

ME AND RUBY

I am big fan of Ruby as a development language for commodity (eg Lintel)
systems as a properly designed rapid development language. I am a Perl
refugee fleeing the world of write-only languages.

In my spare time I am writing bits and pieces in Ruby (nothing ready for
release yet) and have been suffering from the lack of an IDE with
appropriate functionality (esp an interactive debugger) which is why I am
here.

I do not imagine I will be writing a lot of new functionality for Freeride.
I have submitted a couple of bug reports and added some installation notes
on the Wiki from using V5rc1. I intend to try and move up to the unstable
branch and take up a more aggressive bug-hunting role, so I will be bugging
you (when we get back from half-term holidays next week) as to what's stable
and what's not and what needs testing and how it should work...

First question:
*       Why isn't there a standard desktop icon? (and if there is, where
would I find it)

MY WORK BACKGROUIND

Currently
*       an Integration Technical Architect with Scottish Enterprise
(http://www.scottish-enterprise.com <http://www.scottish-enterprise.com> )
Previously
*       Business Architect and Chief Technical Architect at Intelligent
Finance (http://www.if.com <http://www.if.com> )
*       IT Strategist at Direct Line Financial Services
(http://uk.directline.com/money_matters/index.htm
<http://uk.directline.com/money_matters/index.htm> )

MY TECHNICAL BACKGROUND

*       Fortran on IBM 3060s and Cray-XMPs in the 80s
*       Microsoft Access/VB/VBA and C++ in the early 90s
*       Integrated web service-based banking systems in IIS/ASP, JSP/BEA
WebLogic J2EE/Oracle/Solaris, ProIV/DB2/TSO with Soap over HTTP and Soap
over MQSeries integration in the late 90s
*       Linux bit's and bob's hobbyist (LAMP and stuff) moving to Ruby for
the 21st century!

Gordon

Scottish Enterprise Network
http://www.scottish-enterprise.com

The Scottish Enterprise Annual Report was launched at our recent Annual
Public Meeting, held on Tuesday 2nd September. A copy of our Annual Report
is available on our website:
http://www.scottish-enterprise.com/annualreport
For details of local enterprise company Annual Public Meetings visit our
website at:
http://www.scottish-enterprise.com/sedotcom_home/events_secom.htm
To register a place at any of these meetings, please see our website or
contact our Network Helpline on 0845 607 8787 or email
mailto:address@hidden

Headquarters Address & Contact Numbers

150 Broomielaw
5 Atlantic Quay
Glasgow
G2 8LU.
Tel:  +44 (0)141 248 2700.
Fax:  +44 (0)141 221 3217

message is sent in confidence for the addressee only.

for the presence of known computer viruses.