freeride-devel

Re: [FR-devel] Some FreeBASE changes in CVS

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Some FreeBASE changes in CVS
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 18:30:30 +0100

Richard Kilmer wrote:
All,

I changed a few things in FreeBASE based on a conversation I had with Curt. Currently, FreeBASE only requires the third party libraries Log4r and yaml. We were never really using the capabilities of log4r, so I just replaced it with our own, simple logger (that looks and has the same API that we were using in log4r). You can set the log level to:

'disabled', 'error', 'info', 'debug'
or
0, 1, 2, 3

It logs the info the same format as before, but now log4r is no longer needed and can be removed from the redist directory.

The second thing I did was copy the current redist/yaml.rb into freebase and cvs add it there. Since the yaml.rb is a single file that performs serialization/deserialization to yaml, I think it only makes sense to include it with FreeBASE, then FreeBASE can completely stand alone (no third party files needed, other than what is in the freebase directory.)

This is all leading to a desire to package FreeBASE as a library to be used generally for anyone that wants to build an app that is based on a plugin architecture. FreeBASE is the first of many 'gems' that are coming from FreeRIDE, and I would like to get folks using it. The more plugins that people write for FreeBASE, the more plugins available under FreeRIDE. I want to work to build a distribution (with released files) of FreeBASE and announce it to the community.

So...comments?

All good for me. I have already removed the stuff from the redist directory

LJ