Re: [pooma-dev] Sparse Engine

From: Sergei Mingaleev
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Sparse Engine
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:45:35 +0200

>> But maybe we're again talking about "different" sparsity here... I'd call
>> the unused (what you call zero) elements not participate in calculation,
>> just like with an arbitrary shaped domain. You seem to suggest more like a
>> compressed engine approach?

Yes, we are talking about different sparsity here. I mean just an extension
of the Sparse Matrix approach - and the requirements for the preformance in
this case are rather specific - optimization for the matrix-matrix and
matrix-vector multiplication, in particular. Even log(N) search is too long
if we have many array-array multiplications - the situation which I have in
some of my programs. Of course, for different problems one can need different
types of sparsity and, correspondingly, different Engines. For example,
sometimes I feel that I really need Arrays with arbitrary shaped domains
which can be realized as you suggested.

By the way - sometimes, for some specific problems, we really need some
additional Engines and some other classes/subroutines, which are not generic
enough to be included into Pooma - but which could be very useful being
included into some "contributions" packages - they can include, besides new
Engines, support for Array/Field visualization, input/output of classes in
different storage formats, some primitive linear/nonlinear algebra
subroutines like solving a system of equations, etc. Is it possible to create
and manage the directory for such contributions on Pooma.CodeSourcery.com?
I think it would be a good place also for testing new unstable features of
Pooma or for alternative realizations of some of its classes.

Cheers,
Sergei.

--
Dr. Sergei Mingaleev