PETE tool

From: John Hall
Subject: PETE tool
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:12:44 -0600

Gang:
I have been reading the text of the articles on PETE, although the permissions seem to be clobbered for the figures on the CodeSourcery website. I would like to play around a little with PETE itself and it doesn't seem to be at all accessible, even at Los Alamos' internal website. Does anyone have an idea of how I can locate the PETE tool? Jeff Oldham referred me to the CodeSourcery/.../POOMA/src/PETE directory, but, that is just the compilation from using PETE for the POOMA types stuff.

I am now working on porting a new code to POOMA/Tecolote along with Don and Jean Marshall and we are trying this time to optimize for single processor performance while still being able to run in parallel. So this time we want to use all of the good stuff y'all designed for POOMA R2 including the various engines, centerings, etc. While Blanca has now been officially killed at Los Alamos, some people are now finally beginning to see why we were so interested in POOMA.

While I am at it, I need to do in R2 the equivalent of an R1 loop over all of the vnodes on a processor for every processor and then store a sparse collection of locs which I then use across multiple conformant fields. Does anyone have an example of a safe mechanism for doing this? This is a really big deal in that it will allow me to speed up certain sparse operations by at least an order of magnitude over the data-parallel treatment.

Think of it as walking across the same few sparse locations on a hundred different fields and you will have an idea of what I am talking about. While pseudo-code is probably sufficient, make sure that it uses the real names of the relevant objects as I am still coming slowly up to speed on POOMA again.

The reason I am looking at PETE is because I want to fill in the operator list for a linked list (maybe a vector, but preferably a linked list), so that I can write some code on an extremely sparse compressed companion data storage to a data parallel field. E.g. I have a single data parallel field which has all of the pure cells and cell averages for the mixed cells along with a sparse linked list of the mixed cells (a very few cells compared to the problem size). I then want to be able to overload the operations for the linked list to allow me to do some simple calculations using PETE.

It is really great to be using this technology again. I got a grant for $300K to pay for next year's work, so I can work on this stuff full time this next year.

Believe it or not, I will be funding Mark Mitchell, et al. to develop an open-source Fortran 2000 compiler over the next few years. Is this a crazy world or what? I am hoping to use some of the money to continue to improve the g++ codebase. Version 3.4 of g++ has the new ISO parser we started three years ago fully in place so g++ is now an entirely ISO standards conformant compiler except for the export keyword.

Also, does anyone know the name of the code that Chris Luccini was working on at Sandia?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
John Hall
(505)234-2743 (Home Carlsbad)
(505)661-3535 (Home Los Alamos)
(505)628-1373 (Work Carlsbad)
(505)667-7568 (Work Los Alamos)

P.S. Don and Jean say "hi!". They are staying with me this month and next and we are working night and day to get a jump start on this project. Forgive me for mixing personal news with technical requests, but, its 2 AM and I didn't feel like writing two messages. Just thinking about you guys again brings back warm feelings.