Re: [pooma-dev] ICC and POOMA--versions, CHEETAH, MM, MPICH?

From: Paul A. Renard
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] ICC and POOMA--versions, CHEETAH, MM, MPICH?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:37:05 -0700

George:

I compile pooma-2.4.0 with:
    configure --arch LINUXICC --opt --suite LINUXicc-opt

    setenv POOMASUITE LINUXicc-opt

     make

this makes an optimized (no exceptions) version.

By the way, I reported about a month ago some trouble I was having with icc.  It was not producing code as good as KCC.  However, after sending POOMA, and my test problem to Intel, they were able to match the run time performance of KCC-produced code, but they needed to make some compiler tweaks which they promise will be included in icc 8.0   I was seeing about a 4X slowdown with icc, which had nothing to do with compiler switches, it had do to with placement new not being declared inline in the icc distribution, icc's failure to elide no-op destructors, and possible failure to elide no-op constructors.   The compiler people claim that version 8.0 will produce code as good as KCC, but be ready for somewhat disappointing results with 7.1

-Paul