Re: [pooma-dev] Re: Status

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Re: Status
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:47:37 -0600

On Monday, July 9, 2001, at 09:57 AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

FYI, the STL in most places just uses one function, like this:

 template <typename T>
 void newRelation(T t) { ... t() ... }

which works with functors and function pointers automatically, and
with the pointer-to-member case via an adaptor; I think there
is something like `member_function' that returns a new functor so that
you can say:

newRelation (member_function(obj, &ComputeVelocity::doit), v, p, m)

It's not clear to me that we should try to imitate the STL in any way
in POOMA -- but its conventions are now used by lots of people, so it
might be good to gradually move the interfaces in that direction.  It's
also worth noting that compilers are working hard on optimizing those
constructs, so if POOMA looks like the STL, that might have positive
side-effects as well.

Hi Mark,

This is a good suggestion. The Blanca folks would rather have a single function to support their use of round-trip engineering tools. I'm modifying my code to do this.

Scott