freeipmi-devel

[Freeipmi-devel] Re: does FreeIPMI support 'IPMI over serial' for remote

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: does FreeIPMI support 'IPMI over serial' for remote console?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:21:29 -0700

,----[ "Suresh Subramanian" <address@hidden> ]
| Hello
|
| I would like to know if the current FreeIPMI version
| supports IPMI over serial.
`----
Not yet. I don't find running lengthy serial cables to each system in
a clustered or a data center environment feasible. Ethernet seems to
be the way to go.

How ever I find few users having access to server systems through a
serial concentrator (Terminal Server). Doing so, limits the ability to
stream raw IPMI serial data simultaneously along with console
data. But you can still manage such systems with limited IPMI
functionalities (like power cycling, health check, setting boot flags,
identity..) using IPMI TMODE feature. You don't need any special
software to achieve this.

Here is a simple doc on how to setup IPMI access over a serial
concentrator.
ftp://ftp.californiadigital.com/pub/freeipmi/ipmi-cyclades/IPMI-TS2000.pdf

Hope this helps.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>