freeice-dev

[Freeice-dev] FREEICE - CHardware Version

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: [Freeice-dev] FREEICE - CHardware Version
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:49:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

If you don't know me (ie: aren't Armand), I was going
to help on the project a bit by making my own hardware
version slightly different to test his software... its
going to be hardware compatable with his though,
otherwise it wouldn't make any sense!

Anyway just FYI the CHardware (for Colin's Hardware)
version will work a bit differently, which makes it
easier for me to work with IMO for when i'm de-bugging
the tester...

The main changes are:

1) The glue logic is going to be replaced with a CPLD

2) The expansion port will be changed so that almost
all signals are visible on it

3) There will be no debugging connection headers on
the PCB (such as JTAG, BDM). Instead boards will plug
into the expansion port as needed. For instance there
will be an AVR board, with JTAG and ISP connectors on
it. This way I can later expand to include all the
various targets supported, and don't need to add the
hardware right at the start of my project. For
instance the 9.8304 MHz crystal for the 809 support
can be moved to the target plug-in board.

Any comments, suggestions?

 -Colin