freebangfont-devel

[Freebangfont-devel] k.ss.na or k.ss.nna ?

From: TAKAHASHI Naoto
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] k.ss.na or k.ss.nna ?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:49:50 +0900 (JST)

Thank you for providing great Bangla fonts.

We are researchers working at a national institute in Japan. We have
been developing a software library to multilingualise Unix/Linux
software.  Our library helps writing application programs that need to
display/input/edit various languages and scripts including, of course,
Bangla.

  http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib/

We have tested our rendering algorithm using the MuktiNarrow.ttf and
LikhanNormal.otf fonts, and found a inconsistency in ligature
formation.

MuktiNarrow.ttf generates a ligature from the three consonants:
  KA(U+0995)  SSA(U+09B7)  NA(U+09A8)

LikhanNormal.otf, on the other hand, generates a very similar ligature
from the following combination:
  KA(U+0995)  SSA(U+09B7)  NNA(U+09A3)

Only the last consonats differ each other.

I consulted a linguistic encyclopedia.  It says KA+SSA+NA generates a
ligature.  (Mukti got one point.)

I also consulted backnumbers of the TDIL Newsletter.  It says
KA+SSA+NNA generates a ligature.  (Likhan got one points.)

Frankly speaking, I am confused.  Would you kindly shed us a light?

(Both fonts generate the same ligature from KA+SSA+MA, by the way.)

Another question: I have been unable to find a Bangla opentype font
that supports not only Bangla but also Assamese.  Since the number of
additional characters are very small (only two, if I remember
correctly), it should not be difficult for font developers to add
Assamese support.  Do you have any plan to do so, or are there any
such fonts?

Best regards,

--
TAKAHASHI Naoto