Re: [fluid-dev] Fluid synth channel 10

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluid synth channel 10
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 19:50:44 +0100

David, please make sure to send a copy of your mails to the mailing list.

> However if I then assign another FSchannel to be percussion
> e.g.fluid_synth_set_channel_type(synth, 12, CHANNEL_TYPE_DRUM);this channel
> plays the instrument I have assigned in channel 9 as well as the percussion
> (and sounds awful).

Did you send a note off on channel 12? Did you issue
fluid_synth_program_reset()?

> Do the channel_type commands above also set the bank?

No. They only set the channel type, which is basically a no-op to the user. The
type is only considered on a program change event to determine a fallback
instrument bank. That said: I cannot recommend to switch channel types back and
forth with fluid_synth_set_channel_type(). You should rather turn all channels
into melodic ones and select percussion by setting the bank (using e.g.
fluid_synth_bank_select()) appropriately to what it is in your soundfont
(usually bank 128).

Also note that I must correct myself: The bank selection mode only matters when
using fluid_synth_cc(). fluid_synth_bank_select() is not affected by it, you
were correct. Sry for the confusion.

Tom

14. Jan. 2019, 16:47:24 CET: