Re: [fluid-dev] ?==?utf-8?q? Again on "Compile time constant lookup tabl

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] ?==?utf-8?q? Again on "Compile time constant lookup tables"
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 12:19:12 +0200

Am So., 16. Sep. 2018 um 11:51 Uhr schrieb Ralf Mattes <address@hidden>:
Am Sonntag, 16. September 2018 11:43 CEST, Marcus Weseloh <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Just think of the const tables as "configuration" and the Python script as
> a tool to write that configuration. Similar to autotools configure scripts.
> They get checked in to VCS all the time.

??? That's not how the autotool chain is supposed to work, they clearly document that
the original input should be vesion controlled, not the results of running automake/autoconf et al.
The generated files should be included in _release tarballs_, but that's something completely different.

Think of the Python script as "autoscan" and the generated const tables as "configure.in". Ok, granted... configure.in also gets modified after generation.

"Golden rules" shouldn't be dogmas, I think. I fully agree that auto-generated files should't be checked in to version control if their contents might depend on when and where they are generated. But if I understood the problem correctly, the const tables are exactly that: tables of constant values. The Python script is expected to produce *exactly* the same output no matter which system the script runs on.

Cheers,

   Marcus