Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI piano + sustain pedal realism

From: S.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI piano + sustain pedal realism
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 10:02:01 -0500

@ Tom:
I cant find anything like a "sustain pedal release noise" in the soundfont
itself. I dont know what you expect to happen or when/how this is supposed to
play. At least the SF2 spec doesnt say anything about a noise being played when
CC64 goes <64. Whereever you've heard that, it's probably a custom feature.

Hi Tom, it looks like you're right, at least the SF2 files available from
Soundfonts4U do not have pedal release noises.

So my only valid complaint in this thread is regarding sustaining the residual
resonant sounds after immediate pedal release-depress. But it also appears that
the current behavior of FluidSynth conforms to the SF2 spec, so probably no
hope to change that either. What I've been doing is converting the SF2 files to
SFZ with Polyphone (polyphone-soundfonts.com/en/download), and running those in
LinuxSampler. This gives me the very realistic sustain pedal behavior I prefer.