Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI piano + sustain pedal realism

From: S.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI piano + sustain pedal realism
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 21:14:47 -0500

Hi Aere, thanks a lot for the reply.

On 03/08/18 20:46, Aere Greenway wrote:
Hopefully, you are not actually talking about the sostenuto (middle) pedal,
which does something very different from the sustain-pedal.
Nope, just the regular sustain pedal.

I think, if after playing a note, you very quickly pressed the sustain pedal
(before the note has completely died) the remaining sound of the note will then
resonate with the strings of other notes, since the sustain pedal raises all
the damper pads off of the strings for all of the notes.
Hmm, yes, that must be the actual technical behavior that I'm thinking of. But just
functionally speaking, a real piano doesn't have hard binary on/off cuts, you can always
sustain the "resonant sound" before the note completely dies off.

As far as I know, MIDI doesn't work that way.
Interestingly, LinuxSampler does. It truly feels like a real piano in that
sense. For example, I can play a forte single note or chord on my keyboard,
completely release the keys, and then immediately press the sustain pedal, and
it sustains the resonant sound. Quite impressive. Or alternately, I can press
the sustain pedal, play a forte note or chord and release the key(s), and then
release and immediately depress again the sustain pedal, and it continues to
sustain the leftover resonance. If you give LinuxSampler a try I suspect you'll
see what I mean. It's impressive in that sense, but for other reasons I don't
really like LinuxSampler (poor SF2 support, and not as good GUI options).

I also saw once, a friend of mine was sure the sustain pedal wasn't working,
when what actually happened, is he (absent-mindedly) had his foot on the pedal
when he started up his MIDI software (he was using Rosegarden), in response to
which, the pedal from that point forward, acted the opposite way he expected it
to (pedal-down = pedal-release, and pedal-up = pedal-engage).
Interesting, I just tried this on purpose, and it does indeed behave as you described.
But that's not what normally happens to me. With FluidSynth, the sustain pedal works
"normally / correctly", it just feels a lot more synthetic and digital than
LinuxSampler.