Re: [fluid-dev] SoundFont parameter analysis

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] SoundFont parameter analysis
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 18:11:44 +0200

> Isn't it like completely automatic that FluidSynth should be updated to
> convex on the ModEnv?

Musically it doesnt make sense IMO. Anyway, we will go with the spec... sooner
or later.

> If it's what the spec says, shouldn't it be like "next-day work" to implement
> it?

As you know, development just got rolling again one year ago and so far there
were other higher priority issues.

> And it shouldn't be hard, since the VolEnv already does it, sounds like
> cut-paste of code.

Not that trivial. All envelope calculations fluidsynth currently does are
linear. The only reason this works for volEnvAttack is because it's done in
decibel. Also care must be taken to not break legato playing when using convex
modEnvAttack.

> In SweepPad, the ModEnvAtk and ModEnvRel (and some other parameters) have set
> values in a Global Zone AND the regular Zone (the one that defines the
> Instrument in the Preset). The official SoundFont spec doesn't say anything
> about that. Do they add, or does the regular Zone pre-empt Global Zone, or
> does the Global Zone pre-empt the regular Zone?

Any generator defined in a local zone overrides the one of a global zone.
SF2.04 section 9.4

Tom