Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal for a new feature: lazy-loading of SoundFonts

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal for a new feature: lazy-loading of SoundFonts
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 19:25:06 +0200

I keep thinking about this preloading feature and I'm not yet fully convinced
of it. I see quite high obstacles for it being beneficial i.e.:

- We need a user who plays MIDI files via command line and listens to them in
real-time.
- The user must actively enable on demand sample loading
- The MIDI file(s) must make use of on-the-fly program changes (because only
then hearable sound interrupts will occur)

I can fully understand to enable dynamic sample loading for non-realtime
szenarios (like file rendering), or for Marcus special resource limited
environment. But the only reason for a normal user to enable dynamic sample
(>1GiB) soundfont. But the low latency of the playback requires to have the
samples in memory. After all this preloading feature would only mask the high
latency of dynamic sample loading. And in worst case it would minimize the
memory gain of the dynamic sample loading to zero, i.e. when it preloads
(nearly) all samples or only the biggest ones.

So, do we need sample preloading?

Tom