Re: [fluid-dev] Channel handling

From: Aaron Laws
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Channel handling
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 07:41:12 -0500

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 1:25 AM, Jim Henry <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Aaron,

If you haven’t already, you should look at the Miditzer and the jOrgan projects. Both are organ simulators the use FluidSynth to produce sound. The Miditzer is strictly a Wurlitzer theatre organ simulator while jOrgan is a general purpose simulator for both classical and theatre organs.

Thanks for the pointer! I'm using jorgan with fluidsynth.

As the original programmer of the Miditzer I can tell you that the way I handled the channels was to assign each rank to a channel. I did this not because of the distortion problem but because the sound fonts are assigned on a channel basis. This works out well for a theatre organ because they have relatively few ranks. I think you may be using preset combinations. Both the Miditzer and jOrgan emulate organ relays so that all the stop control of a real organ is available.

To deal with the distortion caused by drawing many ranks you need to consider two things. One is to limit the amplitude of the sound samples so that playing multiple notes with multiple stops does not lead to values that exceed the maximum value for a channel. The other is to limit the number of channels that are being mixed into a single speaker as overdriving the speaker will also create distortion. If you can arrange to mix only a few MIDI channels into one of a large number of speakers, then your final mixing is air mixing, which doesn’t distort. Everything before you get into the air is subject to electrical distortion that can be challenging to manage.

I'm not talking about clipping. I can turn down the volume and mostly manage that. I'm talking about sound quality and electronic distortion: Harmonic distortion. Frequency response distortion. Phase distortion. The sound is sometimes shrill or tinny. Statically putting one rank per channel also isn't nearly as good as what I'm suggesting because the likelihood of choosing several stops that are assigned to the same channel is rather high. Something dynamic would be much better.

Best,

Jim Henry