Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth make strange sounds with ALSA

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth make strange sounds with ALSA
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 01:05:02 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On this type of hardware (Orange Pi pc or RPi 2,...), the audio (on jack 3.5) is a PWM signal (very low quality signal and very noisy) and the audio driver doesn't work very well for low latency.

For example , with –o audio.period=1 audio.period-size=1024 , we obtain a distorted sound when the number of voices reachs 80 voices. This issue disapears if we

use 2, 3, or 4 cores (using the option -o synth.cpu-cores=4). But at low audio level (i.e during note release time) the sound becomes very noisy.

I we ignore this jack 3.5 output and we plug an audio usb card, we get good quality and very low latency (about 4 ms with a sample rate 44100) using this settings:

-o audio.alsa.device=hw:1 -o audio.period-size=256 -o synth.cpu-cores=4.

With this settings you should excect playing 200 voices maximum (i.e 50 voices max for each core).

Also, we probably could use the audio on hdmi port. But i haven't not tested it. If you intend to do this test, your report on this list will be very appreciated.

Regards.