Re: [fluid-dev] Using absolute generator values

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Using absolute generator values
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 17:38:52 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Absolute generators values sounds prior to soundfont format 2.0 (perhaps  .sbk  file). It would be nice to get an input answer from the author.

It seems to be a deprecated functionnality now. By default , i would vote also to simply remove it.

Regards.

> Message du 07/12/17 11:18
> De : "Marcus Weseloh" <address@hidden>
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [fluid-dev] Using absolute generator values

Hi,

I also can't see how this function could ever have had any effect. So really, by changing the code so that it does have an effect, you are introducing a new feature. Looking through the mailing-list archives of the last 14 years, there are only four posts that mention the fluid_synth_set_gen2 function.

One person stumbled across it and wondered why it doesn't have an effect. The others came from the thread-safety changes when somebody found the function in the code and decided to make it part of the public API, because: "These functions were meant to be made public at some point, as the comment suggests at the top of fluid_synth.c".

So it seems to me like no user has ever requested or used that feature, at least not in the last 14 years. And it's not part of the SoundFont specs. I would vote to simply remove it.

Cheers,

   Marcus

While cleaning up the code base I stumbled over a feature provided by