Re: [fluid-dev] Bundling ladspa.h

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Bundling ladspa.h
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:20:59 +0100

1. Ladspa is set in stone. It has mostly been replaced by lv2 now. (lv2 stands for ladspa v2.)
2. ladspa.h can't change too much because then the plugins would have to be recompiled.
3. It wouldn't make sense to change ladspa.h if it was included in fluidsynth. So it wouldn't be a fork.
4. If ladspa.h "upstream" would change in a way that would force plugins to be recompiled (and this won't happen),
the only required change in fluidsynth would be to update the ladspa.h file.

I second that. LADSPA development hasn't been just stalled, it is basically "finished". As Kjetil says, all new stuff goes into LV2.

And the fact that projects like Ardour, Audacity and Csound all bundle their own copy of the ladspa.h header makes me even more confident that this a good idea. Especially as we are now also sort-of-supporting WIndows, where people can't just "apt-get install ladspa-sdk" to get it to compile properly.

Cheers,

    Marcus