Re: [fluid-dev] Trying another reverb ?

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Trying another reverb ?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 00:38:34 +0200

Hi again,

So maybe what we need is a system where we can have multiple reverb implementations in core FluidSynth and a setting that can be used to select one of the implementations.

Let me explain that idea in a bit more detail. What I have in mind is a better defined interface (basically an internal API) for the reverb and chorus effects. Something that works a little like LADSPA[1], only less generic and more specific to FluidSynth. Here is a quick draft of the idea:
https://gist.github.com/mawe42/20a473ccdee83c364fcc126962656abb

So we basically define an effect descriptor structure that each effect implementation can fill. At synth startup, users can choose one of the available effect implementations. A few would be hardcoded into FluidSynth, others could be registered via a new FluidSynth API.

Just my 2 cents. But I really think something like this (or another idea to create a stable API) should done before adding another reverb type to FluidSynth. As Kent Beck puts it: "for each desired change, make the change easy (warning: this may be hard), then make the easy change" .

Cheers,

    Marcus