[fluid-dev] Re : Using SoundFonts in 2016

From: CERESA Jean-Jacques ENAC/ENAC
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re : Using SoundFonts in 2016
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 15:41:57 +0100

Hi, Christian
Many thanks for this interesting study about the 'state of the art' of the SoundFont format and 'sampler' synthesizers.
When you write "It is 2016. Gone are the days when dedicated audio processing hardware is required to achieve a professional sound....".
You are right. In fact this is true since years 2000. Hardware sampler AWE 32 was born in 1996 and it was 32 voices polyphony capable.
Now, on a 2.4 GHz CPU (only one core) one can run FluidSynth with 336 voices polyphony, that is 10 x AWE 32 with the bonus of
modulators!
Many thanks for you chart tests. Just one question, how long it took to do this work ?
I encourage anyone who is interested to give it a read.

Have a great day too.
Regards