Re: [fluid-dev] Perfect, as opposed to Tempered tuning

From: Fede Galland
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Perfect, as opposed to Tempered tuning
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 07:40:41 -0300

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 02:10:28AM -0500, R.L. Horn wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014, Fede Galland wrote:
>
> >I've recently been asking the same questions.
>
> There's been some recent discussion over ticket 103
> (http://sourceforge.net/p/fluidsynth/tickets/103/).
>
> (Which you may be part of.)

I am :)

> One thing that causes problems is that fluidsynth doesn't default to
> using any particular tuning program.  Even bank 0/program 0 has to
> be set explicity.
>
> It's probably not a bad idea always to create a "default" tuning
> program and tell fluidsynth to use it for every channel except,
> maybe, channel 10:
>
>     # create a default tuning (fluidsynth will fill in the blanks)
>     tuning "bank 0/prog 0" 0 0
>     # assign it to all channels
>     settuning 0 0 0
>     settuning 1 0 0
>     settuning 2 0 0
>
> That *should* fix the problem of MIDI streams that assume tuning 0/0
> is the default.

I just tried this with the latest fluid from git and after sending an
MTS mid file with pmidi (the method that works for timidity), I see the
control changes in the console, but dumptuning 0 0 shows the default
12TET tunings.

> Another thing is that fluidsynth is extremely conservative about
> tuning — it only tweaks the samples that are already assigned to a
> given key. Many other synths, e.g. timidity, look for a best match
> for the requested frequency.
>
> Both are valid approaches.  Fluidsynth's is better suited for making
> small changes, and might be the only way to deal with
> multi-instrument programs (you wouldn't want to press a kettledrum
> key and get a bongo instead, for example).

In my case, that's the reason I don't settle for timidity. The
interpolation is much worse.

> All of which may, or may not, be helpful.  :)

Your answer didn't solve the problem, but it's still helpful as far as
I'm concerned.