Re: [fluid-dev] Fast renderer end of track

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fast renderer end of track
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:14:24 +0200

On 09/13/2011 04:05 PM, Matt Giuca wrote:
I finally got around to looking at this issue (thought I'd take a
break from arguing about licensing and actually contribute!)

It turns out this issue is really easy to "fix", but much harder to
*really* fix. To elaborate:

1. To "fix" the issue, all I had to do was change fluid_midi so it
doesn't ignore the End-of-track event. In my patch, it puts the EOT
event on the event queue, which forces the player to wait until it
hits the EOT event before it considers a track to be finished. I've
opened a ticket on this issue with an attached patch:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ticket/101.
You can follow the development of this patch on Launchpad:
https://code.launchpad.net/~mgiuca/fluidsynth/eot-event

I think this is a good approach to the problem. In the bug I've asked a question about the patch.

2. To *really* fix the issue, it turns out, it is a bit more complex,
depending on your MIDI file. If your MIDI file's EOT event is
precisely at the same time as the final note, then this won't help in
the slightest. I write my music using Rosegarden
(http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/), and no matter how long you drag out
the track object, when you export to MIDI, it sets the EOT event to
the same time as the last note-off event. So this patch doesn't
actually help me at all. As I said on the tracker, if we want to fix
this, we'll have to dive deeper into the code and wait until all the
notes have actually finished playing before we stop the song.

Basically, #1 is a bug in FluidSynth (it *should* observe the EOT
event and not cut off early). #2 could possibly be considered a bug in
the MIDI file / Rosegarden, but it might be nice to address it anyway.
I think the ticket I just opened (#101) should just be for fixing the
#1, and if people are keen to address #2 we can open a new ticket.

Fixing it on the FluidSynth side seems ugly to me: What if EOT occurs with a everlasting note on? What about time to let the reverb decay after playing?

The issue has been brought up before, and I vaguely remember that I saw some other implementation had added a parameter, something like "--seconds 2" if you wanted 2 extra seconds of rendering after the song has ended. Maybe that would be a reasonable workaround.