Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced

From: Matt Giuca
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:12:15 +1000

Would the following text be suitable to put on the wiki, and represent the sort-of consensus:
=== iOS and the App Store ===

It is questionable whether iOS and the App Store can fulfil the requirements of the LGPL. From a long thread on the fluid-dev mailinglist [insert link to archive], it was concluded that the developer distributing an application using FluidSynth must fulfil the following conditions:

 * He/she must release all changes to the FluidSynth source code under the LGPL.
 * He/she must release all other code of the application, either as source or as linkable object files, so that an independent user can relink the application with a different version of FluidSynth.

In addition, the App Store distribution mechanism might be incompatible with the LGPL, so the developer risks that Apple chooses to remove the application. To avoid that risk, the developer can choose to distribute his application through e g Cydia.

The following FluidSynth copyright holders have agreed not to actively raise complaints against FluidSynth App Store applications, provided the above conditions are met:

Peter Hanappe
Josh "Element" Green
Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
David Henningsson
Matt Guica

Okay, I agree to have my name on that. Except it's "Giuca" not "Guica". (I guess it's a wiki so I can always change it.) :)

However FluidSynth has a lot of copyright holders, so the above is NOT a guarantee that not any other FluidSynth contributor, or anyone else, won't choose to raise a complaint against Apple for distributing FluidSynth.

"NOT a guarantee that any other" (remove the second occurrence of "not").

It may also be prudent to add one or more of the following points: