Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 05:44:52 +0200

On 09/07/2011 10:38 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with exactly how development for iPhone works here. If I
develop for iPhone, how do I put my own software on there? I mean, even
Apple would think there should be a way to test your software on the
real thing before publishing? Is that a legitimate path for distributing
source code to e g FluidSynth?

From what I can understand the development tools are free to download and use, but testing your software on the iPhone or iPad costs $99 per year. [1] Interestingly enough, this is a relatively low fee compared to buying an iPhone/iPad.

I'm assuming that this "testing" is not crippled in any way to make it different from running the App Store distributed one.

As for my own opinion, I tend to be pragmatic in the sense that I look
for practical possibilities rather than the letter of the law.

Let me clarify this a bit. LGPL contains a lot of rules and regulations, but let me point out the two types of freedom, that the end user is given, and that are important to me:

1) Available source code. I e, if the developer fixes a bug in FluidSynth and makes that version of FluidSynth publicly available, we should be able to take that fix and incorporate it into the next FluidSynth release, and release that version under LGPL.

In this case, Rouet can fulfil that requirement by publishing their FluidSynth source code changes, or publicly state that they haven't done any changes.

2) Updating FluidSynth. If the end user finds a bug in FluidSynth by playing around with "Slide control", he/she should be able to fix it and run the fixed version on the same hardware. The question is if Apple fulfils its part of this deal by the $99 developer program [1]. On one hand, the program is widely available and relatively cheap, on the other hand, it's still a cost, and Apple can probably choose to deny this program on an individual basis. So I'm not really sure what to think about it at this point.

Anyway, Rouet can fulfil that requirement by publishing the entire source code to "Slide control". I don't know if they can also choose to supply some kind of linkable object code, that depends on what you can and can't do with XCode.

// David

[1] http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/