Re: [fluid-dev] Sending MIDI Events from a MIDI Keyboard on Mac OS X

From: mike
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Sending MIDI Events from a MIDI Keyboard on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 04:32:03 +0100

On 03/27/2011 09:14 PM, Bastien Dejean wrote:
Hi,

I thought by reading the man page that I could just plug my USB MIDI Keyboard, launch fluidsynth with a soundfont as argument and play.
But it seems I'm missing something.
I tried 'fluidsynth -d -m coremidi x.sf2' but I don't see any MIDI events being received.

Any hints ?
Thx.

Hi

Can I ask the same question for Windows?  I'll be using Qsynth with fluidsynth and I also have a USB MIDI keyboard connection.  I have the software installed but haven't tried this part yet.

I tried previously with a different USB connection which installed the drivers under USB instead of sound and could never figure out how to make Qsynth see the driver.  That's why I'm asking here.

BTW I'm using the fluidsynth bundled with Qsynth (version 1.1.1) for getting started purposes if it makes a difference.  Also the version of  Windows is XP Professional SP3.
The MIDI/USB connection is a Cakewalk branded MIDI/USB interface.  Again for getting started purposes I'd like to use the default Windows drivers and not Roland's.

Previously Pedro wrote this:
Yes, FluidSynth can read from Windows MIDI ports. Using the command line interface program (fluidsynth.exe), you need to provide the exact port name (including spaces) in the command line:

C:> fluidsynth.exe -o midi.winmidi.device="port name"

The list of available port names are listed in the sound settings of the windows control panel.

In the worst case can "port name" be a USB port or should XP install drivers that will map the USB into the sound settings of the control panel?  Also, do I need an equivalent of the Patchbay application for Mac OS X?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mike