[fluid-dev] Re: Urgent request for FluidSynth 1.1.1 to work on Win XP

From: Element Green
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: Urgent request for FluidSynth 1.1.1 to work on Win XP
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 10:30:15 -0800

This is best sent to the FluidSynth developers list, which I am CCing,
rather than to our personal addresses.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:35 AM, yanli lei <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi fellow developers,
>
> I have an urgent request from Government National Education to install
> FluidSynth with a musical application develop by us. I have spent 2 week
> trying to get it to work, so I'm desperately need your help to get your
> engine to work.
>
> I have compile successfully on W7 with C++ 2008 Express, GLib, libSnd and
> DirectX SDK and were able to play MIDI files. When I tried run without any
> errors on Windows XP SP2/SP3, it doesn't produce any sounds, where did I go
> wrong? Does it mean we have to install dsound.lib and dsound.h to get it to
> work? I'm a Flash developer and not too experience in VS C++.
>
> From the command, it show exactly as in W7, even try with various SF2
> soundbank:
>
> audio.driver             dsound
> audio.dsound.device      default
> audio.file.endian        auto
> audio.file.format        s16
> audio.file.name          fluidsynth.wav
> audio.file.type          auto
> audio.input-channels     0
> audio.output-channels    2
> audio.period-size        512
> audio.periods            8
> audio.realtime-prio      60
> audio.sample-format      16bits
> midi.driver              winmidi
> midi.portname
> midi.realtime-prio       50
> midi.winmidi.device      default
> player.reset-synth       True
> player.timing-source     sample
> shell.port               9800
> shell.prompt             >
> synth.audio-channels     1
> synth.audio-groups       1
> synth.chorus.active      True
> synth.cpu-cores          1
> synth.device-id          0
> synth.dump               False
> synth.effects-channels   2
> synth.gain               0.200
> synth.ladspa.active      False
> synth.midi-channels      16
> synth.min-note-length    10
> synth.polyphony          256
> synth.reverb.active      True
> synth.sample-rate        44100.000
> synth.verbose            False
>>

> I hope you can your spent your dedicate time how to get it work without need
> to install any unrelated software as I really need to get it to work before
> the thousands of schools reopen. This is a critical request. That why, I
> catch no sleep over this.
>
> Thanks.

>From what I can understand, you are getting the same console output in
W7 and Windows XP but you are getting sound in W7 but not in XP.  I'm
not real sure what could cause that.  You probably need the DirectX
runtime installed on the system of the same or greater version which
you built FluidSynth with, but you shouldn't need the SDK.  Perhaps
someone else on the list can help you more.

Best regards,
Element Green