[fluid-dev] Re: [LAU] fluidsynth-dssi with dssi 1.1.0 distorted/garbled

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: [LAU] fluidsynth-dssi with dssi 1.1.0 distorted/garbled audio output
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:21:14 +0200

On Monday 27 September 2010, Sean Bolton wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2010, at 5:43 AM, Frank Kober wrote:
> > has someone already tested fluidsynth-dssi since dssi was updated
> > to 1.1.0 ?
> >
> > I'm getting strongly distorted audio when using fluidsynth-dssi in
> > any host (tested with ghostess and qtractor) and suspect this to be
> > related to that dssi update until proven wrong. Strangely, all
> > other dssi plugins including the updated ones from some days ago
> > work like a charm, as does fluidsynth played via qsynth.
>
> I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. I'm using ghostess
> 20100923 compiled against DSSI 1.1.0, and both a pre-DSSI-update
> fluidsynth-dssi.so (using DSSI 1.0.0 and fluidsynth 1.0.8) and post-
> DSSI-update fluidsynth-dssi.so (using DSSI 1.1.0 and fluidsynth
> 1.1.2) seem to work fine.
>
> > I was wondering if I'm the only one with that problem?
>
> Since you're not the only one, let's see what you have in common.
> Versions? Distros? Did you  compile fluidsynth-dssi after the DSSI
> upgrade, or are you using a pre-DSSI-upgrade version?

I can confirm the reports by Frank and Orcan, using FS 1.1.2 with any DSSI
version. The problem doesn't happen here with FS 1.1.1

I suspect this issue may be like a problem with audio-channels >= 2 in
FluidSynth-1.1.2, ticket #87:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ticket/87

If both problems have indeed the same root cause, looks like the issue is
related to fluid_synth_nwrite_float() versus fluid_synth_write_float().

Regards,
Pedro