Re: [fluid-dev] Voice-stealing logic, and more

From: Elimar Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Voice-stealing logic, and more
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:13:19 -0700

Hello David,

Sounds like some progress! :)  There have been discussions concerning
the voice stealing algorithm in the past.  Here is a link to a
relevant thread in the list archives:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2005-10/msg00017.html

In summary, the thought was to add settings for the various weightings
of the voice stealing algorithm and possibly have voice stealing
algorithm presets (which could just set the weighted values).

Other improvements to the existing voice stealing algorithm
(copy/pasted from that thread):
- Improve volume level rating (keep track of voice levels?)
- Improve voice age rating (ticks and/or noteID)
- Add settings for selecting voice stealing presets and setting custom
weighted rating values
- Add variables to voice structure for each criteria (ratings get stored
here for statistics)
- Add voice kill log to track what voices got killed and the criteria
ratings of the voice (the reason)

I'm excited that you are delving into this stuff.  I may have a little
time in the coming weeks to put towards FluidSynth.  So let me know if
there is anything in particular that could use researching or
implementing.  Cheers!

Elimar