Re: [fluid-dev] New debian/ubuntu package available for testing

From: Bernat Arlandis i Mañó
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New debian/ubuntu package available for testing
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:58:00 +0200

David Henningsson escrigué:

These rows is what builds the fluidsynth executable:

/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -Wall  -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops -finline-functions -Wall -W
-Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused -Winline   -o fluidsynth
fluidsynth-fluidsynth.o libfluidsynth.la -lpthread

libtool: link: gcc -Wall -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops
-finline-functions -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast
-Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused -Winline -o
.libs/fluidsynth fluidsynth-fluidsynth.o  ./.libs/libfluidsynth.so
/usr/lib/liblash.so -luuid -lreadline -lncurses -ljack
/usr/lib/libasound.so -lm -ldl -lpulse-simple -lpulse
/usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lrt /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so -lpthread -pthread

Do we need all these "-l":s above, and if we don't, how do we get rid of
them? (Hmm, ticket #38 suddenly comes to mind...)

It seems like autotools gets the dependencies for the project as a whole and then applies them to every piece built. There should be some way to tell which dependencies are for the lib and which ones for the executable, but I don't know. Have you asked DD?
I'm fairly certain there aren't any issues with Ardour borrowed code. The rest of FluidSynth should be fairly clean also. Like Bernat
mentioned, I think we should assume it is safe code (I'm fairly certain
it is) and take action if someone complains.

I would like to have such an approach. The question is if that is
sufficient for a Debian maintainer (but that question should be directed
to Debian and not you).

While we're at it, I discovered another thing in configure.ac:

dnl The following script checks for ncurses support.
dnl I copied and adapted it from DataDisplayDebugger's (DDD)
dnl configure.in, written by Andreas Zeller <address@hidden>.

DDD is GPL, and so is their configure.ac. This should not render
fluidsynth GPL though, since configure.ac is not linked with fluidsynth,
but I don't really know what else gets tainted by GPL, given this.

// David

You're way too much picky with the licensing issues. Anyone (even Debian developers) would pick upstream's word as stated in the source code and documentation unless it's proved wrong by someone. By playing the devil you're going against yourself and upstream.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó