[fluid-dev] How to send manual midi commands to fluidsynth from another

From: John O'Hagan
Subject: [fluid-dev] How to send manual midi commands to fluidsynth from another program?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:50:52 +0000

Hi,

I'm writing an algorithmic music program which generates lists of numbers
representing notes and durations. The results can be printed as scores and
played as midi files using lilypond, and to play the results as they are
generated (i.e., bar by bar), I'm using the sox synth.

That's pretty limited, however, so I thought that fluidsynth might be the way
forward.

The simplest solution would be to translate my number lists into noteon
commands, etc, and pipe them to fluidsynth.

But I need a little help understanding the fluidsynth shell.

When that is active, I can type commands in, but I cant figure out how to pipe
them from my program. I tried sending a file object to stdout but it seemed
to just disappear. Also, when I try to run fluidsynth with the -i switch, (no
shell), it seems to start up, then immediately exit.

I can get a result by translating my data  into a text-to-midi program, then
piping that to, say, pmidi, which plays via fluidsynth, but that seems very
roundabout.

Any advice?

Regards,

John O'Hagan