Re: [fluid-dev] OOM killer synths and ALSA overruns

From: Frank Barknecht
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] OOM killer synths and ALSA overruns
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:31:13 +0100

Hallo,
Josh Green hat gesagt: // Josh Green wrote:

> As for good low-latency Linux response, not sure what the best
> options are these days, since I haven't played with it much with
> newer kernels.  I have heard though that unpatched the 2.6.x kernels
> can be either very bad or moderately OK as far as latency, depending
> on which particular version, etc.

You really lag a bit behind here. ;)

To quickly get you almost up to date I would recommend Lee Revell's
paper from the LAC 2006. Generally a stock 2.6 kernel now provides
reasonable latency for many day-to-day audio work scenarios. I run
stock kernels since about 2.6.16 (also because I became lazy and
didn't want to follow the sometimes unstable RT-kernels) and it's
more than enough for me.

Ciao