Re: [fluid-dev] ALSA driver consuming too much CPU

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] ALSA driver consuming too much CPU
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:17:39 +0000

Hello Paul,

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 16:40 +0000, Paul Millar wrote:

<cut>

> I guess I'd have to do profiling to find out where the CPU is being used ...
> something I'll put off for a rainy day.

There is some profiling stuff in the FluidSynth code itself.  I believe
it gets enabled with the --enable-profiling option to ./configure.  I
haven't played with that much recently.  Another option is to use a more
un-obtrusive method such as oprofile or something.  I would also be
interested where FluidSynth is using the most CPU and what could be
optimized.  There was some work put into using SSE/MMX type
instructions, but it turned out to be slower!  Perhaps that could be
better optimized though.

> > Hope that gives you a better idea of what to play with.
>
> Definitely!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul.

Cheers.