Re: [fluid-dev] Dither

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Dither
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:32:18 +0000

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 12:55 +0100, Mihail Zenkov wrote:
> I use fluidsynth with midi keyboard and very happy :) But i hear
> rounding error, i add triangle dither to prevent this. It work for
> alsa, oss and should work for other audio driver if it use
> fluid_synth_write_s16.
>
> P.S. Sorry my english ;)

Thank you for your patch submission.  I haven't yet given it a try.
Looking at the changes you made though, I would guess it attempts to
make the rounding of the audio conversion less audible?  I noticed there
is a buffer which is allocated of size 48000, which I assume is related
to the sampling rate.  Do you think this will also work fine with 44100
for example?

I'm no DSP expert, so if someone has any insight/pointers to information
on this topic I'd be interested.  Best regards,
        Josh Green