Re: [fluid-dev] Linking MIDI files with sf2 files

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Linking MIDI files with sf2 files
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:17:38 +0200

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 21:38 +0530, Premkiran Mannava wrote:
> hi,
>
> with fluidsynth 1.07a I could play MIDI files from the shell giving
> command line arguments.  I have chosen a MIDI file which is playing if
> it has only melodic instrument i.e. say piano or guitar strings.  I
> have a MIDI file with both precurssion and melodic, it doesnot sound
> both when I paly it with this version.  Can you tell me which version
> of fluidsynth can play a multi timbre - basically both melodic and
> drum kit at a time on its own on windows say using a dsound
> driver? some of the MIDI files I used are only playing drums and some
> are playing mere melodic without droms!!  What does this say?

Hmm, not sure what could be causing that.  I wouldn't be surprised if
there were some bugs with the MIDI implementation, but I'm not familiar
with that particular problem.  Are you saying that it was working at
some point with a version of FluidSynth?  It may be that you would find
the same behavior with any version, since not a lot of changes have
occurred with the MIDI code.

> I have changed soundfont files basically .sf2 files and tested
> fluidsynth but with different instruments I could not play the melodic
> and drum kit as it is together.....

Do you have some example SoundFont and MIDI files you could put
somewhere on the Internet for me to test?

> Can you suggest me a possible solution for this?  I am struggling on
> this from more than a week to look through the code and find the
> loophole...  Either you can suggest me a solution with that of
> changing the required parameters in the code if needed... even that
> would help my investigatiion to get a intact code

Not sure what to suggest at this point, since I would need to see the
problem in action.  If you do have some example SoundFont/MIDI files
that would help a lot.

> regards,
> PRem

Cheers.