Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Jack CVS error?

From: Frank Barknecht
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Jack CVS error?
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:38:28 +0100

Hallo,
Josh Green hat gesagt: // Josh Green wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 12:33 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Well, I can do that, but won't I then also get a /usr/bin/fluidsynth
> > binary without readline, ncurses and jack-support?
>
> Yep.  Not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve.  The nature
> of using those libraries is that you end up with them as dependencies.
> Some programs choose to build dependencies as modules, perhaps that is
> what you are getting at?

The background is, that some users of the fluid~ external, who
compiled the external on their own, but used for example the
libfluidsynth packages of their favourite Linux distribution, reported
error messages similar to the one that started this thread, that is
missing symbols located in libreadline or other libraries.

These errors can be fixed by adding "-lreadline" when compiling
fluid~, however fluid~ is not using readline, libjack etc. itself, as
it is completely embedded in Pd or Max, so linking with any other
library besides libfluidsynth normally is not necessary.

Another advantage could be that it reduces complexity when digging for
bugs in applications, that use libfluidsynth. For example, if LADSPA
is enabled in libfluidsynth, the fluid~ external will crash Pd. I
reported this a long time ago, I'm not sure if it is fixed, but as
LADSPA is not enabled as default anymore, this is no big deal
currently.

Moving things like LADSPA support out of the libfluidsynth library and
have it only available in the fluidsynth application itself could make
at least my life easier. ;)

I don't know how this would affact Rui and his QSynth, though. Of
course it would affect the fluidsynth-application. :(

Ciao