Re: [fluid-dev] I want Midi to Wave Conversion (-_-)

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] I want Midi to Wave Conversion (-_-)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:14:54 -0700

I didn't receive the original email concerning this question, so I'm
replying to this one.  I hope the original person who posted the
question receives this reply.

As Toby mentioned, the -a option can be used to output to a RAW audio
file (fluidsynth.raw by default).  This isn't very ideal though, since
the synth is still executing as if its running in real time.  This can
lead to artifacts and also results in having to wait for the duration of
the MIDI file.  Non-realtime rendering is on the TODO list, but not sure
when that will happen.  It probably wouldn't be too hard to get working,
but it would be a different way of running the synth (would render as
fast as possible and one would get the exact same output every time).
I'd also like to add libaudiofile support to allow for writing to
formats like WAV and AIFF.

If the desire is to get the audio directly from FluidSynth and you are
writing a C program you could use the fluid_synth_write_s16 or
fluid_synth_write_float functions.  See the section titled "Synthesizer
plugin" in the include/fluidsynth/synth.h file.

Best regards,
        Josh Green