Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI Proxy idea

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI Proxy idea
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:01:52 -0500

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 06:42, David McNab wrote:

> Architecturally, the proxy would:
> 1) Load up the mappings from a config file
> 2) Open up a receive port within ALSA
> 3) According to configuration, either:
> 3.1) Fire up a fluidsynth with server mode turned on, and open a
>       socket connection to it, and send commands to load soundfonts
>       in a particular order, and/or
> 3.2) Connect via ALSA to an emu10k1 card, and spawn 'asfxload'
>       commands to clear the memory and load soundfonts with specified
>       bank offsets.
> Thereafter, upon receiving instrument (or midi file player) MIDI events,
> it would translate these to the commands indicated for the backend.

I think the right way to do this is to just implement it in FluidSynth
to allow bank offsets. It really wouldn't be that hard to do (definitely
easier than writing a MIDI proxy).
Swami will deal with this via virtual banks which were part of the Smurf
Sound Font Editor a while back (mappings from File:Bank:Preset =>
Bank:Preset, File:Bank => Bank and File => Bank offset), but probably
the format will be XML instead of the old text format. Cheers.
        Josh Green