fle3-dev

[Fle3-dev] Create new knowledge type set: Software Lifecycle

From: Cormac McClean
Subject: [Fle3-dev] Create new knowledge type set: Software Lifecycle
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:24:52 -0500

Hi,

I love Fle3 and I am using it with my software engineering courses in
a project-based learning context. The project explores the
(traditional) software lifecycle whereby the participants develop a
software product from start to finish: idea, requirements
specification, design, implementation, testing and so on.

Currently we use the existing Knowledge Types: Progressive Inquiry to
research the various lifecycles and the phases within a lifecycle, and
Design Thinking Type for the actual project development, e.g.
My Design Idea - to outline the idea
Design Context - to specify the product requirements: what will the product do?
Design Challenge/New Information? - to formulate a design: how will
the product be implemented (i.e. objects and classes)

(We're considering using Jamming to store the source code files, which
provides a form of version control, although I wonder if simply adding
the files to the web tops would be more appropriate.)

I'd really like to develop a specific Knowledge Type set for the
(traditional) Software Engineering Lifecycle, e.g.
My Design Idea - to outline the idea
Requirments Specification - to specify the product requirements
Product Design - to formulate a design: how will the product be
implemented (i.e. objects and classes)
Testing - specify test cases
Feedback - to provide feedback loops at each stage of the lifecycle

I'm wondering what I need to do to implement this. I've downloaded the
learning_diary_7.zip file and had a peek inside. I can figure out the
fledom.xml file, and I can see that the data* files contain icons. Is
it enough to replace the text in the fledom.xml file with the text I
need? I'm going to try it out on a test Fle server, but I'd be
interested to know if there's anything else I need to be aware of.

Regards,
Cormac.
--
Cormac McClean.
Lecturer, Athlone IT Software Engineering