fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] Developer community in Italy

From: Tarmo Toikkanen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] Developer community in Italy
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:06:27 +0200

Good morning, my name is Fabrizio Reale, I write to this mailing-list to
announce that we have created a group of people, enterprises,
associations and schools interested to use FLE and write extension to
it.
It could be interesting to compare our ideas with the people who already
write the FLE code.

Can someone tell me where the development of FLE is going?

Well, we should definitely do some collaboration on this. Fle3 is
focused to be a tool to help learning groups as they build their
knowledge on a target subject. It is not a content management system
and it is not a distance education system and will not become one, at
least not by us.

There are of course many features that would be useful to different
organizations that are lacking in Fle3. But we don't have the
resources to implement them all. Also many of the features would only
apply to a certain subgroup of Fle3 users, so implementing them all is
not useful.

However, extending Fle3 with specific extensions is exactly the
correct way to add new features when needed. One university here in
Finland has embedded Fle3 with ZWiki, Squishdot and an irc client to
create a more comprehensive environment. Jukka can comment on this, I
think.

We've also thought about supporting ZWiki as a plugin, so you could
have a WikiWiki environment as one module of Fle3. So some ideas may
be so general and pedagogically sound that they could be implemented
to the Fle3, while others may target a smaller audience and be
implemented as add-ons or extensions. Or you can embed Fle3 as a part
of a larger environment.

PS: I've found a bug, but I'm not sure this is the correct place to
describe it. I try.
If a course has been created by a staff person who is not an admin the
link in the KB to the course folder doesn't work.

We'll most probably catch the bug report from here as well, but the
best place is to submit it to our bug tracker at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fle3/

Also, any additional details you can give us will help is solving the
problem. Just saying "it doesn't work" isn't very specific. Is the
link missing, not active, resulting in an error message, a login
prompt or something else? Also, the version of your Fle3 server
software is important to know.

I suggest you surf over to the bug tracker and submit the bug there
with all relevant details. This will ensure that the bug is handled
appropriately and not forgotten.

Thanks for the report, though! It's important to get as many bugs
ironed out before the release in less than two weeks now.

--
Tarmo Toikkanen
http://www.iki.fi/tarmo/