fle3-dev

[Fle3-dev] Re: Location path problems

From: Tarmo Toikkanen
Subject: [Fle3-dev] Re: Location path problems
Date: Thu Nov 7 09:31:33 2002

Moved to mailing list, since this is a generic development issue. Time
to start using this list for development discussions anyway!

1) The suggestion to use /fle_user/<userid>/webtop/show_user_info worked
like magic. However, is it possible to do the same thing for "edit user
info" form and "edit course info" form? Now it still jumps to UM and CM
layout.

Yes, I don't see why not. If you first build a URL that goes inside a
user's webtop and then access a page that is acquired from higher up
the tree hierarchy, then you will get the header defined in the
webtop, using WT style.

And since each course contains its own header file, that uses KB
style, you can use that style in similar fashion: first build a URL
that descends inside the course and then access a page that is
acquired from higher up in the hierarchy.

Note, however, that if the page isn't directly in the parent path, but
in a side branch, you will need to define the side branch in the URL
before descending inside the object in question. So for example:

(not probably a real directory structure in Fle's db)
(view with a monospace font)
+
|-- courses
|   |-- 1
|   |   |-- course_info
|   |   \-- fle_html_header
|   |-- edit_course_form
|   \-- fle_html_header
\-- fle_users
   |-- joe
   |   \-- user_info
   \-- fle_html_header

With this hierarchy, if you access
 /courses/edit_course_form
which in turn tries to load "fle_html_header", you will use the header
file at /courses. If on the other hand you access
 /courses/1/edit_course_form
it will use the header file at /courses/1

If you wanted to load a page from a side branch, using
 /courses/1/fle_users/joe/user_info
would use the header file from /fle_users, but using
 /fle_users/joe/courses/1/user_info
would use the header file from /courses/1/.

Acquisition is a tricky business and you can do quite a bit with it. I
do note, however, that at this point we're starting to go towards a
design that I tried out last January... Mainly using heavy acquisition
algebra to get different styles to objects. There were some problems
with it, so let's not do too complex tricks here, unless necessary.

2) In KB search I don't know how to get a course name to the location path.
It also doesn't get the course context to the search results, but shows
course name.

2) In the group folder its a complete mess. I don't know how to make it look
like:
<You are in>: <Webtop(KB,JM)>: <course name> <course folder translation
string>/ <folder name>"
Now in the subfolders it loops the "you are in" and "course folder"
translation string and adds "/" where it doesn't belong.

Janne should be able to help with these two issues, but he's busy on
another project until next Tuesday, so you'll have to hold on a bit.

--
Tarmo Toikkanen
http://www.iki.fi/tarmo/