fle3-dev

[Fle3-dev] Fle3 Knowledge Building with TouchGraph

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: [Fle3-dev] Fle3 Knowledge Building with TouchGraph
Date: Mon Aug 12 08:19:01 2002

Hi,

several times we have discussed about the possibility to generate different kind of "map views" from the Fle3 Knowledge Building discussion. It could be an alternative way to visualize and browser the notes in the KB.

Have anyone ever test TouchGraph (http://www.touchgraph.com/)? I asked from Alex Shapiro - the person behind the TouchGraph - how difficult it would be to use TG with Fle3. He wrote to me:

Do you have non-hierarchical data that you would like to display? If so, then I would recommend attempting to visualize it using the

TGLinkBrowser: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/touchgraph/TGLB_SRC_120.zip It reads XML files, and can display the results through an applet, you can see a demo here: http://www.touchgraph.com/newLB/TGLinkBrowser.html

As long as you can generate the required XML files, then setting up the applet should not take much work at all.

Is someone interested in to spike the possibility to study how TouchGraph could be used with Fle3 KB? Does someone know any other similar kind of tools around?

Maybe from the bases of the TouchGraph we could also develop a tool visualizing the "social interaction of the participants in Fle3" (social network analyses).

        - Teemu