fhsst-maths

FHSST-Maths: Worked Examples

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: FHSST-Maths: Worked Examples
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 18:30:08 +0100

Hi everyone,

just to remind you all again with the status on "Worked Examples". we are not considering the worked examples or exercises as a priority at the moment.

if you feel the need to add worked examples then *please* ensure that they are past paper (recent SA syllabus) questions and reference the year and question. all exercises should be either quick-fire questions (relevant to possible exam questions) or past paper style questions.

when it comes around to tidying up the worked examples sections... anything which isn't in a past paper will be discarded/relegated, and anything in the exercises section which isn't past paper style will also be discarded. there may be exceptions... but do not count on it.

basically we don't want to confuse the kids with too many different question styles and everyone knows past papers are the best way to improve your exam scores. i don't think we should assume that the schools can readily get their hands on past papers.

on a very related note... a task for a dormant SA based contributor would be to hunt out the last, say 5 years, of maths exams and transcribe the questions for us. that would enable us to increase the priority on worked examples and exercises! it'd be a major contribution for the maths book and it needs to be done one day.

anyone willing to take on that task? you don't even need to be proficient at LaTeX as we now have people to convert from any document.

this doesn't effect the use of examples in the main text to explain concepts... they should still be relevant (and understandable!) by the audience and in the contexts described in the syllabus.

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts