fhsst-maths

[Fhsst-maths] Re: FHSST Maths

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: [Fhsst-maths] Re: FHSST Maths
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:37:13 +0000

On 3 Feb 2005, at 00:21, Mark wrote:
In Physics I have a few more advanced chapters which are at the end and I'll just label them additional content.

yeah, we have a similar thing in maths. but in this case i think maybe "not real" numbers are worth a mention in the intro for numbers as we use the term "real numbers" a lot. kids might want to know why we bother saying "real" all the time. there is no need to go into much technical detail.

I would suggest putting complex numbers at the end, we could have additional sections (introductions) on the ideas of matrices, vectors, complex numbers etc.

yeah, i'd been toying with the idea of an "algebra" section at the very end since the initial concept of FHSST-Maths. but its fallen behind. it would be great to do some *very* basic set/group theory in there. using vectors and matrices as perfect examples of non-commutativity. but... its definitely FHSST-Maths-2.0 stuff, not for the first official book.

i guess i should CC FHSST-Maths about all related maths stuff, but i've been emailing Sanya about a lot of this in private and i *think* we have a new maintainer for "Problem Solving" ;-)

i'll try to mail FHSST-Maths more often... i promise! :-)

hows everyones files coming along?

cheers,
Sam
--