fhsst-authors

[Fhsst-authors] Idea for rapid content development

From: Mark
Subject: [Fhsst-authors] Idea for rapid content development
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:55:17 -0500

Hi all

Things have slowed quite a lot on the content development front. Now that we are a registered NPO it occurred
to me that we might be able to have a rapid content development drive.

I propose to host a Writing for Scientific Literacy Competition. We would need to provide a few prizes to entice a large enough pool of entries. We would have to find a sponsor for the prizes. The competition would consist of selecting a section for one of the books from a provided list. To enter the candidate would need to write the section under certain guidelines to make it appropriate for the books. Judges would then select winners from the pool of entries based on how clear and accessible it would be to a high school learner. One of the rules would be that any entry can be used in the books.

This could lead to a large number of entries which would be used in the books.

If we pitched it before the June/July holiday in SA we might get a large number of university student entering. I was thinking we could put up 10 - 15 sections (~4 pages each) for each book. Then if enough people enter we'd probably have sufficient
content for all those sections.

I think it would be easy to
- come up with the list of sections
- we can point them at the Shuttleworth curriculum stuff which is on the web
   - also at wikibooks and wikipedia
- come up with volunteer judges - we would need to screen out the top 20 or so and then we could approach facutly at UCT - sponsorship ~ R10 000 in total - say a R5000 first prize, R3000 second and R2000 third prize

Please let me know what you think?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Horner Jabber/AIM/Yahoo: marknewlyn
Co-author:
http://www.nongnu.org/fhsst
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/fhsst

"Life is but a seg-fault away ...

Life received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x42074d40 in calloc () from /lib/i686/liblife.so.6"