fhsst-authors

[Fhsst-authors] General News

From: Mark Horner
Subject: [Fhsst-authors] General News
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:49:27 -0800

Hi all

I just wanted to let you all know about 4 general developments, here is a summary with some
details below:

1) Possible involvement in e-resource development
2) OSI interest (long-term funding potential)
3) New Department of Education online educational resource
4) Attending Sasol Science Festival

1) We received the following email today:

"Dear Mark/Spencer

I will be back in Cape town during all of April and would be interested in meeting with you to discuss your initiatives. Cambridge Hitachi has been set up by Cambridge University Press and supported by Hitachi to develop e-learning resources. we need to get established in Africa and are willing to entertain participation in projects that would allow us to gain brand exposure. If you are interested could you please contact me and suggest some possible dates ehen we might meet in April.
Cheers

Peter Cribb
Business Development Director
Cambridge Hitachi
Post Office Box 380
Flemington 3031
Victoria, Australia
"

2) The Open Society Institute (OSI) is interested in our project. This has implication of potential aid:

"
The Open Society Institute funds their organisation. Apparently OSI has
expressed interest in providing funding for FHSST. He would like us to
let him know what sort of funding we need and when we need it by. Their
group wants to help as much as possible using there contacts.
He would also like to know what human resources we need ie volunteers
and what they are needed for (eg content physics, maths, chem;
editors...)"

3) We may be able to contribute significantly to the project mentioned in this excerpt:
"
TUTONG - this a project of the DOE. They are creating a
database where people can submit and download resources they have
produced or find useful. as long as they are freely available.
"
4) We will be able to able to advertise at the Science Festival in Grahamstown. Ismail has volunteered to fly the flag. If anyone else is going and is interested in spending some time spreading the word it would be great if you could let me know and you might be able to
work with Ismail while you are there.

http://www.foundation.org.za/projects/scifest/index.php

So on the whole things look pretty okay right now.

Cheers,

Mark