fenfire-dev

Re: [Fenfire-dev] Web pointers related to Fenfire

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Web pointers related to Fenfire
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:02:36 +0100

Matti Katila wrote:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
- I want Fenfire to look that good.

I want it to look better than that =)

;)

- The business story is that companies can make more useful *and* better-looking Web apps with it. I generally find "desktop widgets make better webapps" hard to swallow

I didn't know there exists desktop widgets for webapps?

There's a huge controversy over it, there's Microsoft's XAML plans, and things like Laszlo and Macromedia's Flex (which is apparently similar to how Laszlo works), and on the other end of the spectrum there's people who say, users like the HTML Web because it is simpler than desktop apps. Some of these people say it needs a few refinements, but should stay essentially the same -- see http://www.whatwg.org/.

- It works on the Web, based on the idea that web apps are much more successful, for many businesses, than downloading apps.

Do you think that Flash is better than java applets?

Only in that it is installed in more Web browsers (if you don't care the in-built crappy Java 1.1 in Internet Explorer which we won't run on, which pretty much leaves Sun's Java plugin).

So I see the relevance somewhere along the lines of--

- Figure out how to make FF look better :)
- Make applets better supported? I.e., provide a solution similar to Laszlo where people can provide a browsable FF structure/application as an applet.

We need to reduce the size of the jar file and that's it :)

Not only -- also connecting to the server to read/write data, for example.

I think that Laszlo is in some sense a competitor to Libvob/Fenfire, even though they have such different goals. Or maybe put it like this: Being a competitor to Laszlo should perhaps be a goal for Libvob/Fenfire...

Yes, yes. There will be new solutions but only few of them is free.

(Laszlo is on the server side, if you haven't noticed, btw)

We need to do work. There's no other way to get something done.

I am, look at the darcs commits ;-)

I would like to do some coding but I'm still stuck with sharing graphs problem in very theoretical level.

:-/ ...

- Benja