fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Save session information ?

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Save session information ?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:39:36 -0700

Hi Steve,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Steve S <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to save a bit of information from a Fabric session (an md5 sum
> for a file on a remote server) for use later in the overall Python script
> and can't seem to find a way to do it, it seems everything goes away once
> the session with the server ends, it does get captured in a log file but
> that doesn't help much, anyone have a way around this or can point me in the
> right direction ?, thanks !

Pro tip: when asking for help, posting the specific code you tried, &
what the output was, really helps!

My guess is that you just need to stick the resulting info into a
module-level variable (Fabric's own 'env' object works reasonably well
for this) which is then available to other tasks or Python code
executed in the same session. For example:

    from fabric.api import run, env

    env.the_md5 = None

    def get_that_md5():
        env.the_md5 = run("md5 /some/file")

    def use_that_md5():
        print "The md5 was: %s" % env.the_md5

If invoked like so:

    $ fab get_that_md5 use_that_md5

should work as expected, with the actual md5 string printing out at
the end. Obviously adapt for your needs :)

Best,
Jeff