fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] /usr/bin/wall through fab

From: Christian Vest Hansen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] /usr/bin/wall through fab
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:36:25 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 20:17, Jonathan Reed <address@hidden> wrote:
im trying to use wall in my fab file.
  run('wall')
  run('please logout before 3pm today')
  run('')  # Send EOF - Ctrl-V + Crtl-D

Is it that each run command is spawning a new session and the message is unaware of the previous command?

Correct. Fabric does not open a normal shell session, but sends isolated commands to be executed by a shell program on the remote hosts.

The `shell` env variable defines part of how commands are executed by the remote hosts: http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.3.3/usage/env.html#shell

If so
  run('wall; a test; ^D')
doesnt seem to work either.

Right, we are not directly interacting with a bash prompt here.

I could create a wall file, transfer it then run it but if the above worked it would be much simpler.

You can also pipe from `echo`:

    run("echo 'a test' | wall")