fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Standalone Fabric

From: Brad Carleton
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Standalone Fabric
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:38:07 -0600

Good info thanks.

On 12/13/2011 11:34 AM, Samuli Seppänen wrote:

Hi,

I am using the Python AWS library, boto:

http://code.google.com/p/boto/

I have extended the EC2 instance stuff to create a node class, and I put in some basic code that allows you to run commands on the remote server through SSH.  Needless to say, I think fabric is much more sophisticated in this area, and I would like to leverage it's command running abilities.

Is there a preferred way to tie into the API without using the command line constructs?

Thanks,

Brad
Cloud Engineer

Hi Brad,

I've been using Boto + Fabric + glue code to setup relatively large performance test environments (1 server, 20-100 clients). Take a look here:

<https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/PerformanceTesting#Deployingclients>

Some parts of the code you could perhaps use for your own needs. Note that the code would need an upgrade to Fabric 1.3.x and a later version of Boto. This would make it less complex by

- removing the thread wrapper (configurer.py) around "fab" command
- allowing filtering of EC2 instances by tags instead of the current hackish "userData"-based filtering

Essentially you'd just need to launch the VMs using Boto, wait until they're online (in my case, launcher_ec2.py) and then generate env.hosts based on that. Then all is needed to call "fab" with that env.hosts list should do the trick. If you got tons of servers to configure, the @parallel task decorator will help.

Samuli